Forum Jump  
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Climber

National Flag of United States United States
Posted: September 24 2007 at 6:21am | IP Logged Quote Climber

What do you use? I use to have a Garmin Etrex. Velcro however is not the way to keep it on a motorcycle. So I am without one right now.

What kind is recomended for this?

Do you also use a metal detector?

Back to Top Printable version View Climber's Profile Search for other posts by Climber Visit Climber's Homepage

Glacierview
Admin Group

Admin Group

Posted: September 24 2007 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote Glacierview

I actually have 2 of the same GPS. Garmin Etrex Legend. I couldn't find my first one for a year and thought somebody had stolen it so I bought another. A year later I found it so I keep one in my truck and one in my hunting gear now. Years ago I had a big old clunky Magellin but after buying the Garmin I like the layout better. I have the topo maps in mine also. With the Garmin you can upload the coordinates directly from the geocaching website too.

I am not sure if there are in preferred units. I like my etrex for all around use. Does what I need it to do and then some.

Thought about bringing my metal detector with me but might ruin the fun. I think I will reserve it as a last resort to find a cache that may be too difficult. Some of these are down right tricky for sure. On the geocaching.com website there are hints for each cache that make it a little easier. You should sign up there and join in the game.

Edited by Glacierview on September 24 2007 at 10:26am
Back to Top Printable version View Glacierview's Profile Search for other posts by Glacierview

Climber

Posted: September 24 2007 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote Climber

I will as soon as I find a way to get a new GPS...

I was drooling in "camper life" magazine today at the new Bushnell GS that AUTO DOWNLOADS FROM SPACE a sattilite piture of your AO.. AS soon as it locks your coordinates it downloads the newest local picture and and then of course loads all the roads and forrest service trails overlay on the sat picture... Yo can chose top's... Way cool but you need to suscribe to a sattilite music service to get the sat pics and latest local weather.. Oh and it plays music from satilite radio also....

200.00 bucks....

Click on image to open in new window

Back to Top Printable version View Climber's Profile Search for other posts by Climber Visit Climber's Homepage

Glacierview
Admin Group

Admin Group

Posted: September 26 2007 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote Glacierview

Here is a page on the Garmin site about how to pick out a GPS unit for geocaching. http://www8.garmin.com/outdoor/geocaching/index.html

Dang I want to upgrade now. Color displays now? Cool stuff. Also look for the H units, they have a more sensitve receiver.

Back to Top Printable version View Glacierview's Profile Search for other posts by Glacierview

Glacierview
Admin Group

Admin Group

Posted: September 26 2007 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote Glacierview

Went out today up to Asbestos creek to find a couple of caches but the mountains and the canopy of trees made it impossible. Didn't find the caches unfortunatly SOOOO I am going to upgrade my GPS. Going to sell both my Etrex Legends and get a Etrex Vista HCx. Looks like a great unit. Has the new improved high sensitvity chipset. Also a software upgrade released today is to address some issues. Good reviews indoors and out under trees. I'm sold. Let me know if anybody wants to buy a couple of Etrex Legends for a couple hundred bucks.

]
] ]